Solar At Work
The Waterfront Park at Washougal is going solar! Our latest solar additionis 2.8 kilowatts(2,800 watts) of clean, unlimited energy to power the restrooms. So whether you’re sitting or standing, just know that your bathroom experience is being provided by the sun.
- The United States uses 26% of the world’s energy with only 5% of the worlds population.
- Coal Provides over 50% of the electricity used in the United States.
- Coal fired electricity emits 40% of all global warming gases.
- World energy use is predicted to double by the year 2020.
- Non-renewable fossil fuels (i.e., coal, natural gas, and oil) are being depleted 100,000 times faster than they are created.
SOLAR ENERGY FACTS
- The solar energy that falls on the Earth in 1 hour is greater than all non-renewable resources used in 1 year.
- Solar energy will increase from <1% of the US energy supply in 2007 to over 25% by the year 2030.
- Solar electric systems can provide a 25-to1-net increase of energy
(i.e., they generate 25 times the energy it took to manufacture and install the
- Solar energy: 4.6 billion years without a rate increase
(Your utility bill, not so much).
- Solar produces local, good paying jobs that can’t be outsourced.
(Solar panels were manufactured by Itek Energy in Bellingham,WA)
HOW DOES SOLAR WORK?
Energy from the sun is converted into carbon-free electricity for your home or business.
DC -> AC
Solar panels produce direct current, or DC energy while the main grid uses alternating current, or AC energy. The
inverter converts solar DC into usable grid AC energy.
Energy you don’t use is credited to you as it passes through your utility meter and into the utility grid.